As many of you are packing up your classrooms, getting ready for summer break, well, I am unpacking mine and setting up for our new school year! This is why:
In 2007, House Bill 198 was enacted to establish a fund to allow New Mexico public schools and districts to develop a six year pilot project that extends to the school year for kindergarten through third grade by up to two months for participating students to measure the effect of additional time on literacy, numeric and social skills development. The purpose of K-3 Plus is to demonstrate that increased time in kindergarten and the early grades narrows the achievement gap between disadvantaged students and other students, increases cognitive skills and leads to higher test scores for all participants. The program extends the school year for K-3 by 25 instructional days beginning before school starts. (NMPED Website http://www.ped.state.nm.us/EarlyChildhood/k3plus.html)
So, what is K-3+?
It is an:
- Extended school year, an extension of the regular school year (25 extra instructional days that begin in July.) Only for grades Kinder, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd.
- ALL students are included, not just at risk (or low performing students)
- Teachers must use intervention researched based programs that serve ALL STUDENTS
- Gives your child a head start!
- NOT all Schools sites participate only a selected few, it is best that you check with your local School District.
- Our district's goal is to have 85% of the student population proficient in math and reading by May 2016